WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VIDEO ONLINE
You know you need video to compete for leads in today’s online market.
But you probably have some questions.
So here’s what you need to know before you press the ‘GO’ button on your video production.
HOW LONG SHOULD MY VIDEO BE?
Well, the correct answer is ‘As long as necessary and as short as possible.’
Most hosting sites and researchers recommend videos should be around 2 minutes long. After that there is precipitous drop in viewers. Then the drop-off curve flattens out for a while before falling significantly again at around 7 minutes.
Those numbers were established by researchers who measured over half a million online video views.
But the purpose of a video also has a bearing on how long it should be.
A FEW SECONDS: Video Ads should be a few seconds long.
LESS THAN 2 MINUTES: Most online videos should be less than 2 minutes long.
MORE THAN 2 MINUTES: Break longer videos into a series of shorter videos. However, highly engaging videos which tell a story can be longer than 2 minutes, because viewers like to follow a thread or stay with a character they like. And when a story is well-told, people will want to stay with it longer.
UP TO 7 MINUTES: Videos designed to teach – branded instructional, educational and how-to videos – should aim to be under 7 minutes long.
BUT 2 MINUTES WON’T COVER EVERYTHING I NEED TO SAY
Then you have two options. Choose only the most significant benefits of you product, those that’ll fit in a 2 minute video.
Or make a series of videos; a number of short videos each covering a different set of features and benefits.
A series of short videos will be better for you from an SEO point of view, and will let you target a wider range of potential customers more often.
And considering today’s diminishing attention spans, with shorter videos, you won’t risk boring people.
WHERE YOU PLACE A VIDEO ALSO AFFECTS HOW LONG IT SHOULD BE
There are a number of video platforms where you can use videos and/or video ads to pick up leads and turn them into sales.
Think of Facebook, Vimeo, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube. Each has its own particular requirements, recommendations, and best practices.
Organic posts on Facebook which include videos get up to 58% more engagement.
Videos for Facebook organic posts should be shorter than 2 minutes.
Facebook paid post videos (ads) should be much shorter. 5 to 15 secs is recommended.
And to make best use of the Facebook feed format, your videos will play bigger on screens if, instead of the standard 16:9 format, you upload square videos at 1080 x 1080 pixels.
LinkedIn organic post videos should be the standard size of 1920 x 1080 pixels. They should be 30 seconds long or less. And it’s important they make an impact in the first 6 seconds.
LinkedIn sponsored content videos (paid ads) should be 1920 x 1080 pixels, with a recommended video length of 15 sec.
The ideal length for most Youtube marketing content is between 16 seconds and 2 minutes. But if your material is educational, entertainment, storyline-based, or episodic, it can run longer.
Videos look best when they’re uploaded to the Youtube servers at 1920 x 1080. You can upload ultra-high definition 4K files, but the files are huge, and almost no-one watches Youtube in ultra-high definition.
IT’S NOT JUST THE VIDEO THAT COUNTS
Creating captions, headings, video titles, descriptions and thumbnails for your Youtube videos is a bit of an art, because they all have a mighty impact on views.
So some education and thought is valuable when it comes to preparing titles and descriptions. And your video needs to be mobile-friendly, too, because, at last count, 40% of Youtube videos were being viewed on mobile devices.
IN THE END, THE AUDIENCE FADES AWAY …
If you include a call to action in your video to drive response, don’t place it at the end of your video.
Every video loses its audience over time. And of the all the viewers who start to watch your video, as few as 25% of them may actually finish it.
Many viewers even anticipate the end of a video and jump off BEFORE the end.
So you should embed reasons to take action throughout the video, and stack the beginning of your video with the main features and benefits, where more people will see them.
And make sure the on-page captions, headings, titles and descriptions that accompany your video have URLs and calls to action in them.
LET’S FINISH WITH AN OLDIE BUT A GOODIE
Finally, the most important piece of advice to follow regarding video length is also the oldest: When you’ve got nothing interesting to say, stop.
You should call us for a chat about ideas and costs for your video or TV/online ad, or your TV/digital ad campaign. Call Billy on 0412 777 175 or send a message via our contact page.
- Aussie BronzeSacha Roberts,CEO, Aussie Bronze
The video looks and sounds fabulous! Thanks again to you and Shaun for all your hard work. Can't wait to share it ...
- Possibilities Management GroupJonathan Oastler,Managing Director, Possibilities Management Group
The TV commercial looks absolutely fantastic, couldn’t be happier. The Instructional video also looks fantastic. The voice was spot on. Thanks so much for all your effort.
- Community Colleges AustraliaDavid Hurley,Manager - Business Development, SG&S Community College
Wow! I found the video to be inspiring, the stories just blending so well together and picking up so many key decision-making triggers. Well done to you and your team.
- Stubby Strip AustraliaSteve Delnawaz,CEO, Stubby Strip Australia
Response to the national TV campaign is over 6 times higher than we anticipated. We are experiencing a massive number of hits and our website is going into meltdown. Thanks guys!
- Sterling Mining Co.Monique Hayes,Marketing Manager, Sterling Mining Co.
Love, love, love the film! I passed copies out generously when I was in Toronto last week for broker meetings and at the Chicago conference the week before and I've been getting a lot of very favorable feedback.
- YPB SystemsJohn Houston,Executive Chairman, YPB Systems
We are delighted with the product and your service, and your co-ordination of the Chinese translation for us. We've had a tremendously positive response to the video in London, Beijing and Australia.
- DematicPeter Trotter,General Manager Marketing, Dematic
Billy and the team have an amazing way of exceeding my expectations. They really understand consumer, direct, industrial and B2B marketing. It’s what I need in an agency.
- Goldsearch AustraliaJohn Percival,Chief Executive Officer, Goldsearch Australia
On the day Billy & Shaun's corporate film for Sterling Mining Co. was premiered at this year’s Silver Summit, the share price jumped from a previous base of $3.35 to over $4.20.
- Harper CollinsJim Demetriou,Chief Operating Officer, Harper Collins
Their creative ideas matched our brief beautifully and the results were stunning. Our author experienced a threefold sales increase and is now one of the top ten Australian fiction authors.
- We work with you to develop a brief and budget
- Research your industry and competitors
- Establish communication objectives
- Write scripts which fit the production budget
- Plan production including locations, crew, equipment, travel, etc
- Shoot the video & record & mix audio
- Review progress with you as we edit
- Review the final production with you
- Master and supply streaming files
NETWORKED FOR SPEED
- Networked audio & video systems
- 16 core Mac Pro/Black Magic edit suite
- Final Cut Pro X
- Mac Pro/Nuendo audio suite
- Graphics station with After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Cinema 4D
- 2x MacBook Pro/Final Cut Pro X portable edit machines
- Broadcast-grade SONY monitoring
- Certified broadcast mastering
- SMPRO recording booth
- Sennheiser 416 & Rode K2 studio mics
STATE OF THE ART
- Sony FS7 4K broadcast cameras
- Sony a7S11 4K Ultra Low light camera
- 4 x GoPro 5 Blacks
- Osmo X3 & Pocket 4K gimbal cameras
- Inspire 2 drone: 6K, 95Km/h
- Phantom 4 Pro2 drone: 4K, 60fps, 30 min flight
- Mavic Pro 2 drone: Hasselblad camera, 4K, 14 stops dynamic range
- Full lighting set-ups
- Camera sliders, cranes and dolly tracks
- Sennheiser & Rode radio & shotgun mics