MAKE SURE YOUR TV COMMERCIAL MAKES YOU MONEY
There are three main types of TV commercial: brand awareness, product benefit, and direct response. Each works in a different way to do a different job.
The secret to successful TV advertising is to make sure you run the right kind of commercial for your particular product or service, its current stage in its marketing cycle, and your distribution and revenue model.
PEOPLE DON’T BUY STUFF FOR NO REASON
- If your product or brand is famous and widely available (think Coca-Cola) most of your market only needs a quick reminder to buy your product. You can fit a reminder message into a 15 or 30 second brand awareness TV commercial
- If your product is new or unknown, your commercial has to give your target market one or more good reasons to try it (features/benefits). You can demonstrate a major feature/benefit or two in a 30 second product benefit TV commercial
- If you sell your product through a website, your commercial needs to do more than just remind or demonstrate. It needs to deliver a sales pitch which persuades people to take action right now – to go to your website and buy! So you need a direct response (DRTV) commercial.
A sales pitch takes longer to deliver than a brand awareness or a product benefit commercial. Which is why DRTV commercials are longer: 60 seconds or more. Bad news: a 60 second TV spot costs more than a 30 second TV spot. Good news: a 60 second DRTV ad delivers more than twice the sales of a 30 sec. ad.
Lokomotion creates and produces the right type of TV commercial to do the required marketing job: brand awareness, product benefit, or DRTV.
All of our TV commercials have one thing in common: they’re strategically driven to make money for our clients.
We develop the communications strategy, write the scripts, shoot, record, edit, manage the TV regulatory approval and classification process, and distribute dubs to the TV networks. Our end-to-end service saves you time and complications.
We also turn the footage into online video ads and website videos. And we plan and run successful TV media campaigns: Here’s how we built a successful TV media campaign for less than $1,000.
FOUR SECRETS OF ALL GREAT TV COMMERCIALS:
Good TV commercials are finely-tuned sales machines. Which means they have sound strategy and commercially clever thinking behind them. Here are the four essential ingredients of a good TV commercial:
1. A CLEAR, CONCISE BRIEF
What’s important to you and what’s important to your market isn’t always identical. Sometimes you can be too close to your product or service.
So we provide a briefing form that asks a series of straightforward questions to help us understand your organisation, your product or service, your market, and your competitive dynamics.
Then we come back to you with:
2. A COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY
There’s a certain minimum of information your TV commercial needs to communicate to trigger the purchase decision.
The communications strategy details what we need to show and tell people in your market to get them to take action:
- Who are we talking to?
- How should we be talking to them?
- What action do we want them to take?
- What do they need to know and believe in order to take action?
- What evidence do we have that will convince them to act?
3. CREDIBILITY AND TRUST
Your TV commercial will introduce your company and your product to hundreds of thousands – even millions – of new customers. So it needs to generate credibility and trust.
This is especially important when you’re asking people who’ve never heard of you before to go to your website and hand over their money.
Of course you don’t want to spend too much on your TV ad. But you can’t afford to spend too little, either. People prefer to do business with successful businesses. So your commercial needs to make you look like the market leader in your category. Even if you aren’t.
There are a number of ways to work out what is a reasonable TV ad production budget: by percentage, on a sliding scale, or by ROI evaluation. We’ve prepared some helpful budgeting information and advice on how to control and manage TV commercial production costs.
4. A GREAT SCRIPT
Never forget that the primary objective of a TV commercial is to make people do something: call your number, visit your website, go to your sale, or remember to pick up your product next time they’re in the supermarket, the chemist, the pub or the servo.
Years of experience has taught us to write scripts that press the right buttons to get the required result. And because we combine award-winning creativity with marketing skill and production know-how, we write scripts that will give you the very best bang for your budget.
You should check out our information on TV ad scripts and TV copywriting, And we’ve also produced an insightful guide to how and why Direct Response TV commercials really work.
“WEB TRAFFIC INCREASED 300%.” CCA
“BEST ROI EVER!” PENRITH WHITEWATER
“SALES UP 58%” THOMSON EDUCATION
“RESPONSE 6 X HIGHER THAN ANTICIPATED.”
“Response to the national TV campaign is over six times higher than we anticipated. We are experiencing a massive number of hits and our website is going into meltdown.” Steve Delnawaz, CEO, Stubby Strip Australia
“STUNNING RESULTS!” HARPER COLLINS
“TV: LOWER COST PER SALE THAN EBAY!
“VISITOR NIGHTS UP 28%.” BMT LTD
A 12 week non-prime-time TV campaign increased domestic visitors by 22.1% and nights stayed by 28.4%, while competitor regions experienced significant downturns. Rita Fisher, President, Blue Mountains Tourism Limited
FOUR CRITICAL QUESTIONS:
1. What action do you want your market to take?
2. What do they need to believe, to take that action?
3. What do you need to tell them to make them believe?
4. What evidence do you have that will convince them?
To learn more about ideas, options and budgets for your TV or online ad, you should call Billy on 0412 777 175, or use our contact form.
If you simply want a great TV commercial or online video ad, Lokomotion is happy to be your creative production company.
If you’d also like an effective TV media plan, or a new sales channel driven by TV advertising read about our successful TV media strategies here.
- Aussie BronzeSacha Roberts,CEO, Aussie Bronze
The video looks and sounds fabulous! Thanks again to you and Shaun for all your hard work. Can't wait to share it ...
- Possibilities Management GroupJonathan Oastler,Managing Director, Possibilities Management Group
The TV commercial looks absolutely fantastic, couldn’t be happier. The Instructional video also looks fantastic. The voice was spot on. Thanks so much for all your effort.
- Community Colleges AustraliaDavid Hurley,Manager - Business Development, SG&S Community College
Wow! I found the video to be inspiring, the stories just blending so well together and picking up so many key decision-making triggers. Well done to you and your team.
- Stubby Strip AustraliaSteve Delnawaz,CEO, Stubby Strip Australia
Response to the national TV campaign is over 6 times higher than we anticipated. We are experiencing a massive number of hits and our website is going into meltdown. Thanks guys!
- Sterling Mining Co.Monique Hayes,Marketing Manager, Sterling Mining Co.
Love, love, love the film! I passed copies out generously when I was in Toronto last week for broker meetings and at the Chicago conference the week before and I've been getting a lot of very favorable feedback.
- YPB SystemsJohn Houston,Executive Chairman, YPB Systems
We are delighted with the product and your service, and your co-ordination of the Chinese translation for us. We've had a tremendously positive response to the video in London, Beijing and Australia.
- DematicPeter Trotter,General Manager Marketing, Dematic
Billy and the team have an amazing way of exceeding my expectations. They really understand consumer, direct, industrial and B2B marketing. It’s what I need in an agency.
- Goldsearch AustraliaJohn Percival,Chief Executive Officer, Goldsearch Australia
On the day Billy & Shaun's corporate film for Sterling Mining Co. was premiered at this year’s Silver Summit, the share price jumped from a previous base of $3.35 to over $4.20.
- Harper CollinsJim Demetriou,Chief Operating Officer, Harper Collins
Their creative ideas matched our brief beautifully and the results were stunning. Our author experienced a threefold sales increase and is now one of the top ten Australian fiction authors.